Brown & Haley
Harry L. Brown owned a small confectionery store and enjoyed experimenting with chocolate and sugar candies. J. C. Haley, worked for Shilling and Company, a spice company, and had a flair for sales and advertising. Together J.C. and Harry created confections known world-wide as Brown & Haley.
They met in church in Tacoma, Washington in 1908. After beginning to work together in 1912, they incorporated their candy manufacturing business in 1914.
In 1923, the company hit the jackpot with a crunchy, log-shaped candy piece suffused inside with butter and coated with chocolate and diced almonds. This delicious buttercrunch confection was dubbed ALMOND ROCA.
They are still headquartered in the factory where ALMOND ROCAŽ buttercrunch toffee was invented